The Armory Chamber

The Armory Chamber

Table figure of a deer
DEER, TABLE FIGURE Nuremberg, 1588-1630.
Master Jerome Bang
This goblet in the form of a swiftly running deer with its head raised proudly, thrown back by horns is close to the type of prize cups, which in Germany since the 16th century were awarded to winners in shooting competitions.
The figure has a beautiful, well-defined silhouette, and the subtly marked features of the animal’s movement are conveyed in the pose. Thanks to the special surface treatment by the coin-punch, the body of the deer seems covered with wool.
At the top of the base, under the figure, the master minted with “earth”: he passed unevennesses, dents, light bumps of the soil, bunches of grass; there is even a stump and an outgrowth of a tree.
Photo by B. Kuznetsov

The Armory Chamber silver vessels of the 16th-17th centuries

The Armory Chamber of the Moscow Kremlin, one of the oldest museums in our country, holds a unique collection of Western European silver of the 16th-17th centuries, numbering several thousand works. These are mainly gifts to the Russian Tsar, brought by the ambassadors of England, Holland, Poland, Sweden, Denmark, the Holy Roman Empire. Collections of such high artistic value are not found in any museum of the world. Here and huge sizes of chased decorative dishes, and elegant hand-washed headsets, and slender candlesticks, and glistening polished smoothness of feet and goblets.

Many countries sent their representatives to distant Muscovy. Preserved ancient documents that testify to the close international ties of the Russian state. At the end of the XVI century, Tsar Feodor Ioannovich wrote to the Queen Elizabeth: “… Our state is great, and there are many people in it, and visitors come to our states with goods from many countries: the Turkish region, and from Tsesarev, and Frantsovsky , and Ishpanskie, and Polish, and Lithuanian lands, and Kizilbash, and Bukhara, and Jurgen, and Shamakeytsy, and many other states, by sea and dry way … “Some led to the desire to peacefully trade with a rich neighbor, others – the conclusion of a military contract, the search for reliable support, the third – re OVOR of marital unions. The reception of foreigners took place in the Kremlin, in the Faceted Chamber – the ceremonial throne room, and was furnished with great pomp. Foreign diplomats and travelers, who were usually present at the ceremonial receptions, were struck by the richness of the decoration of the ceremonial rooms. Bishop Elasson of Arseniy, who visited Moscow in 1589, admired the splendor of “the multitude of great golden vessels, which you can not imagine in your mind … the animals of gold or silver were arranged in orderly order …”. According to the established ritual, after the presentation of the credentials, the presentation of rich gifts was compulsory.

From the East, as well as from the West, they brought usually luxurious fabrics, decorated arms, a rich horse harness and silver utensils. In our museum presents the gifts of the English crown of the second half of the 16th century, which testify to the establishment of permanent diplomatic relations between England and Russia, the gifts of the Swedish kings Christina in 1647, Charles XI in 1674 and 1684 and the Danish embassy offerings of 1644 illustrating the whole page in the history of relations between the Russian state and these countries, striving to establish themselves on the Baltic Sea, and finally, the gifts of the embassies of Poland and the Dutch states of the mid-17th century. One of the most valuable in artistic terms is the collection of presents of the Swedish ambassadors of the XVII century.